2) Time Machine couldn't pickup where it left off on the other computer.
3) Time Machine is taking forever…. I.e., Apple stuff is hard, everything else (The third party stuff.) has gone well.
A few weeks ago I broke the screen on my laptop. I immediately pinged some friends at Apple to see what the current friends and family discounts looked like. I also started looking at the Craigslist ads.
I'm offering up my backup routine to provide you some ideas and to get feedback on possible holes.
- Accidental or mistaken changes or deletions of files or data. I.e., losing address book entries, deleting files I don't think I'll need, but wish I had a week later - that sort of thing.
- Hardware failure. The only hard drive I've had fail on me, in recent memory was when I worked at PowerSchool. That hard drive failure was concurrent with a blip in their backup process and I lost about three months worth of work. Hardware can fail and it won't happen at a cosmically convenient time.
- Theft, fire or natural disaster at home, which is where my data lives.